Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Quick Hit on Networking Benefits

Several professional career advisers are harping on the do's and don'ts of networking right now (h/t Alexandra Levitt, among others). This is among the toughest skills to develop when pursuing a career and building your portfolio in the fields you are most passionate about, especially if you are not exposed to training programs in school or at work that help you with the process. Family and friends will attest that I am, by no means, an expert on it, especially when I am forced to stand face-to-face with someone I know little or nothing about in an awkward social setting.

Experience also have taught me that the benefits you reap from networking are directly related (and in some cases, magnified) to the investment you make in building relationships and maintaining them actively. A networking contact I have known, advised, and sought advice from in my professional field over the last eight months surprised me earlier this week with a random "thought of you email" that included a forward of some very valuable information. These moments when valuable, applicable knowledge present themselves from someone else are not possible without developing the contacts and relationships that encourage others to make the extra effort on your behalf, and vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment